Recent Posts

2.21.2012

Goals for 2012

I know most people like to start each new year with resolutions right out of the gate on January 1. I tend to be a little slower with honing  in on my goals. I want to take the time to really look at how the year is shaping up, get beyond the chaos of the holiday season and really hone in on where I'd like myself, my family, and our activities to be at the start of next year.

My overarching goal this year is to become more healthy in all areas of my life. Yes, this does include losing weight and being more healthy physically but beyond that I want to become more healthy mentally, spiritually, financially and relationally.  I don't just want to watch numbers on a scale decline, I want to eat nutrient rich food; I want to get stronger; and I want my body to feel good. Mentally, I just want learn more about myself and how I work and how I would LIKE to work. I have issues, dudes; we all do, and I just want to be more conscious of them and learn how to deal with them in the best way possible. Spiritually, I want to have a healthier relationship with God. I'm not setting some numbered goal like "reading my Bible every day for 30 minutes". Though, that's a great thing to do, and setting measurable goals like that are very helpful for some people. However, I'm going for an overall healthy spiritual relationship. I am doing a Bible study with a group of women, so I want to stay up to date with that and I want to have a consistent prayer life. Our financial goals are going well, too. I've read several personal finance books already and learned A LOT. And we just paid off our last credit card! Yahoo! And relationally, I just want to continue investing in other people and developing deep and deeper friendships with people I have just met here in Delaware as well as long time friends who I know I should make much more of an effort to communicate with. This also includes just taking more time to really develop mine and Scott's marriage. We'll hit 4 years married this year, which is exciting, and I just want this 5th year to be amazing.

Now, on to our house goals, since that's what this blog is really all about. I have 3 main goals for this year.
1. Completely do our master bedroom. There really is no "re-do" about it. It's just a hodge podge of left over items from the past few years and an uncomfortable full size mattress. We'll be tackling this project in the month of March, so look out!
2. Purchase a new couch. Our current couch pretty much didn't make it through our last move. I was in denial for awhile, but truthfully, it's in sad shape. It's uncomfortable and sagging in the middle, and pretty hard to get out of. So by the end of the year, I will research and find and purchase the perfect couch for our family and home.
3. Finally finish the girls' nursery. I need to buy, paint and purchase 16 drawer pulls. I need to hang some art, and decide what to do with the 2nd closet for now. Maybe a reading nook? Or a craft desk? Who knows. Ideas are welcome.
4. Some mini-projects that come along. Basically, I'm keeping my eyes open, and I have a few things already at the house and ready to be finished. I'm not going to turn down the perfect pair of accent chairs in the living room just because my goal is to finish the bedrooms.
5. Plant some flowers in the backyard. And maybe some vegetables.
6. We're going to save up money to do a knock-down-a-wall renovation in the next 2 years.
7. And I may or may not put the finishing touches on Scott's office. We'll see.

So there's the plan this year. Slow and steady wins the race, right? Oh, and a final goal. I want to post on this blog at least twice a month. That was the original plan, and last fall I got mired in the "what do I post??" conundrum. From now on, I'm just going to post twice a month about life in this cottage. If I've done a project or hung some art, I'll include that. If not, well, I'll include that, too!

What are your 2012 goals? I'd love to hear them!

1 comments:

josta59 said...

Sounds great! I'm definitely on board. I hope our fifth year is amazing, too. ;)

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I'm excited to hear your suggestions, thoughts, and questions.